Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homer's Iliad

4 posters

Go down

Homer's Iliad Empty Homer's Iliad

Post  Nogbad the Bad January 8th 2015, 21:09

Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps but R4 still has War & Peace on their website and the Iliad from Sunday afternoon. Anybody fancy Borodino or Achilles and Priam's sons? One of the oldest works of literature we have and what did the inventors of civilisation want to hear stories about: fighting and warfare?! Just saying.
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Homer's Iliad Empty Re: Homer's Iliad

Post  Nogbad the Bad March 10th 2015, 20:42

Anybody else noticed how the intro on the home page makes it sound like we have a club made up of Zombies .... Formed by ex-members of ....
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  Nogbad the Bad March 10th 2015, 20:59

Anybody else noticed that the clock on this site seems to be an hour fast? Are we running on BST?
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  Nogbad the Bad April 5th 2015, 12:46

Heads up for anybody who lives nearby and has any gaps in their Napoleonic library. Baggins in Rochester have a large number of Ospreys, Mollos and books on British regiments - probably a yard of anyone's shelves. I picked up some Ospreys from the 70's and had to show great restraint at not picking up another half dozen Blandfords. Sadly this seems evidence that another one of us has had an appointment with St Peter (Gilder) at the pearly gates but for the rest a chance to cash in on someone's life collection. I also spotted Digby Smith's volume on Napoleonic casualties - another seminal work. Just don't blame me when the credit card bill comes in.
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  Nogbad the Bad April 24th 2015, 19:24

If anyone is attending Salute tomorrow I'll be helping with the Agincourt game on the Lance & Longbow stand. We are at GN11 which is on the back wall next to the seated area. There are several Agincourt games so look out for the yellow banner. If you not attending I guess I'll still be doing the game. Keep your fingers crossed - we're going for best game (again). We probably will have the nicest collection of figures.
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row April 27th 2015, 20:36

Nigel is probably too modest to own up to his Agincourt game won some stuff at Salute . Well done him . Either he is too modest or he was taking some liberties with what actually happened

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwin April 28th 2015, 09:38

Wow that's great nice one Nigel Smile
Simon
Gwin
Gwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nogbad the Bad April 28th 2015, 19:42

Steve is only partly correct; it is more lack of organisation than modesty. The Lance and Longbow Society put on a version of Agincourt at Salute on Saturday. For the record, my total contribution consisted of playing one of the French commanders and getting the teas and coffees in, once. For the benefit of those who didn't get along - you missed an interesting game. Apparently we were only one of 5 or 6 games covering the same subject but regrettably I didn't get to see any of the others. The L&L game took as our blueprint the original French plan, so the French attacked in three blocks of dismounted foot and only out-numbered the English by about 5:4. Admittedly the French were aided by some pretty dire dice throwing by the English - sound familiar, anyone? If anyone wants to see any eye-candy of some very nice Perry miniatures have a look at Simon's blog: Harness and Array. Simon has provided figures for Verneuil, Cravant and now Agincourt. We also did Orleans a few years ago too and Grandson.

For those to whom it matters we won Best Historical Game; Best Presentation Game; and got second in the Challenger category.

There are some very nice medieval castings being produced at the moment. It would be very nice to see more of them at the club.
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  Reece April 30th 2015, 17:14

Well done Nigel, the game looked very nice and some very good painted figures. I understand that if there was a prize for best coffee bitch you were in the running

Reece

Back to top Go down

Post  Nogbad the Bad May 24th 2015, 21:36

Today is the anniversary of the sinking of the Hood by the Bismarck.
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row June 10th 2015, 06:50

as you are keen on anniversaries , it was on this day in 1940 that Mussolini declared war on Britain and France

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum