Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nostalgia . it's not what it used to be!

3 posters

Go down

Nostalgia . it's not what it used to be! Empty Nostalgia . it's not what it used to be!

Post  steve row June 3rd 2015, 13:33

What were the first "proper" wargames figures you all bought?
Having graduated on Airfix plastics, i believe my first metal figures were Hinchcliffe Assyrians bought in possibly 1975 from a hobby store under a multi storey car park in reading . They were probably "true" 25mm and were 7p each , which was a lot of money in those days!!!

steve row

Back to top Go down

Nostalgia . it's not what it used to be! Empty Re: Nostalgia . it's not what it used to be!

Post  Gwin June 3rd 2015, 16:30

Again a graduate from Airfix 1/72 and 1/32 on to 6mm Heroic and Ros Naps and Ancients then on to glorious 1/300 th ww2. Skytrex 144th ww1 aircraft.

Oh for the days when we could see such details. We also made some terrain boards up to. I'll have to hunt out the photos.

The side line was alas 25mm DnD figures by Ral Patha.

Alas the memory fades as to where and when we got them. Mostly mail order I think. But as I type different scales and figures come flooding back.

Simon
Gwin
Gwin

Back to top Go down

Nostalgia . it's not what it used to be! Empty Re: Nostalgia . it's not what it used to be!

Post  steve row June 3rd 2015, 17:36

i remember going to a wargames convention in southampton in 1976 hosted by minifgs . i had my first summer holiday job and had scraped together £100 to take . came back with loads of stuff. mix of historical and fantasy. the historical ones were garrison by greenwood and ball . punic wars romans . had fantastically ornate mail , greaves and helmets with tall plumes . repainted them as elves at some point. probably a strange decision
i have trouble scraping together £100 for toys these days . oh to be young single and living at home . and possibly a bit of a geek at the time.
1977 the music got a bit more interesting and much of my modelling paint found its way onto my clothes........................
i am much more grown up now

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy_D June 4th 2015, 17:22

Some 1/300th Cold War Russians for me. Tbh they were pretty dodgy castings from a NZ company called Military Miniatures, which later turned into Battlefront. I got them mail order and IIRC there were a couple of T62s, some BTRs and a load of infantry.
My mate then decided to get himself a massive pile of Leopard 2s and Apaches. Didn't make for the world's most balanced games...
Andy_D
Andy_D

http://www.tinyhordes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum