Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

musuem visit

3 posters

Go down

musuem visit Empty musuem visit

Post  steve row October 7th 2015, 06:36

Off to Welsh Wales on Friday for a walking and drinking trip . staying near Brecon . notice they have the museum of the Royal Welsh there . This has a Zulu War room . Anyone been there ?if so is it a good display?

steve row

Back to top Go down

musuem visit Empty Re: musuem visit

Post  BBrotherwood October 7th 2015, 19:18

If you make it to Aberystwyth then give me a shout lol. There are 60 pubs here to choose from. Very Happy
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 12th 2015, 22:00

HI BEN SOUNDS LIKE A DANGEROUS PLACE TO BE STUDYING!!!!
visited the museum of the royal welsh in brecon today . they have displays from the 17th century up today . there are uniforms , weapons , paintings and loads of other artifacts . the future duke of marlborough served with them for a couple of years . there are excellent dioramas from the first and second world war.

For me the main interest was in the Zulu War room . They have some excellent dioramas , one in 54mm depicting a last stand at Isandlhwana . There are two using 28mm figures of Rorkes Drift . There is a small one depicting the redoubt made from mealie bags towards the end of the action and a massive one depicting the whole mission station with enough room round the edges fro hundreds of Zulus .The smaller one was originally made for Stanley Baker in recognition of his work on the film " Zulu ", and yes they do have a photograph of Michael Caine !
They also have the flag that was flown from the top of Rorkes Drift

There is a small shop with a range of books covering various periods of the regiments history . They even were selling Zulu figures from the Black Powder range . Makes a nice change to see a museum selling decent wargames figures rather than some of the shoddy looking military toys often on display at such places.

there is a £5.00 admission fee and while the museum is not huge , they do pack a lot into it . well worth a visit if you are in the area

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwin October 13th 2015, 07:22

Sounds like a great place to visit.

I'm sure if I'm ever in the area I'd pop in for a look.

Simon
Gwin
Gwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down