Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

october game?

+2
Adam02
Nogbad the Bad
6 posters

Go down

october game? Empty october game?

Post  steve row September 8th 2015, 07:47

as lee pointed out the other evening october 2015 sees the 600th anniversary of agincourt . he was saying it would be good to do some sort of game to commemmorate the occasion

pete and nigel are also interested

it may be difficult to get together the necessary figures to exactly do agincourt . nigel reckons if we can round up 80 longbows and 20 men at arms we can do the english . the french would need a few more

what figures do people have that might be suitable and in what scales/

thinking 25/28mm but if someone has the figures for other scales could look at that too

also what dates could people make?

i can do 14th, 21st or 28th . or the nearest wednesday to those dates if they turn out not to be a wednesday

steve row

Back to top Go down

october game? Empty Re: october game?

Post  steve row September 10th 2015, 17:51

pete has suggested having a lion rampant evening . medieval without out needing loads of figues . how many retinues could we field between the club ?

nigel has suggested a dba evening in a medieval stylee

so if we can't suddenly conjour up hundreds of french we could at least celebrate the fringes of agincourt

steve row

Back to top Go down

october game? Empty Agincourt

Post  Nogbad the Bad September 10th 2015, 20:27

Further to the Agincourt item.

One idea, (isn't the internet a great thing), requires three or more contingents. The idea is to model part of the fighting across the line of stakes. The English get one contingent of 24 to 36 points. For that you get Harry and mates plus one and half a dozen or so units of bow. They deploy on a short side of the table and have a slope advantage. One long side of the table represents the edge of the rest of the battle and the other long edge the woods - impenetrable to armoured men. The woods angle in towards the English line.

The majority of the table is ploughed mud.

The English stand behind stakes and shoot; no player required.

The players each have a 24 point French contingent comprising men at arms, mounted or on foot, some as spears, volutes, lighter armed, etc. Each player should have about 5 units. You deploy the main French characters, then take in turn to deploy unit leaders. Then randomly place all the remaining figures. The French have to rally each unit first then move together to within 3".

The winner is the French character who kills Harry. If Harry kills or captures all the French characters history repeats itself.

The French should not cooperate with each other. This would work as a Christmas game.
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam02 September 11th 2015, 12:15

I have figures - perhaps enough for a 1/2 Argincourt - in 15mm

Adam02

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row September 12th 2015, 12:09

so with adams forces we have yet another option .

the best evening for me would be the 28th , but i could do the other evenings i have mentioned too .

perhaps if we work out the availability of those interested and then work out the game.

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT September 15th 2015, 10:59

As I mentioned to Steve by text, have a pile of 28mm medieval figures either on the painting table or waiting to go on it that could be used, but only my Lion Rampant force of (12th-14th century) knights, foot sergeants and crossbow men actually done.

Can report making significant progress on my second batch of Lion Rampant figures, which include a bunch of GW Bretonnian archers painted up as 'generic' bowmen...though again knights are Fire Forge's 'Crusader Knights' albeit painted with heraldry and have maxed out using great helms etc. so more sort of knights seen up to around 1350 rather than earlier crusades, but still not quite 100 YW style...foot soldiers and mounted sergeants same period but it was armour styles for the rich boys that changed more than the rank and file.

Just depends on how late it is in October what else I can bring. Rest is all Perry's War of the Roses stuff. None finished, though some a lot of work has gone in, but I don't want to rush finishing these guys as I really want to make them look top notch if I can. Got 36 cavalry among them, some of which look bit more early 15th century (especially ones I've put together to look more like English WoR cavalry) than others, (I've made up some with late 15th early 16th century Italian Condotterie in mind). But only got as far as undercoating so far, so don't hold your breath but might just get a few cavalry painted, which if mixed with the Fireforge guys might just pass themselves off as a force of French knights circa 1415 even though not an authentic 'houndshead' bascinet between them!!!

PeterT

http://peteswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

october game? Empty I'm so keen I'm even prepared to play French

Post  Lee Newton September 15th 2015, 11:28

I have some Perry plastics 28mm English - enough for Lion Rampant retinue. But - will I get them painted in time - at mo looking doubtful.

I am happy to play any rule set. I would need to borrow someone's figures if that's OK.

I am soooooo keen I would even be prepared to play the French (I can't say fairer than that - this is from someone who lives and breathes the Crispins Day speech).

I'm good for any of the dates mentioned.

Lee

Lee Newton

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Newton September 15th 2015, 11:34

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers! For he today..[ahem, sorry]

Lee Newton

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwin September 15th 2015, 14:42

Hummmmmmm.....

What has all this got to do with Easy Company American 101st Airbourne Division????

Jk
Gwin
Gwin

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row September 23rd 2015, 23:19

although it would be good to do a full scale battle even using adams 15mm we are struggling to get enough figures

my preference would now be to do some lion rampant games . i am still thinking 28th . and if people are interested if they can let me know if they either have a retinue/retinues and want to play

retinues they would be happy to lend to non owners

don't have figures but would like to play

would be happy to umpire

can then work out how many tables needed

i think next year is the 800th anniversary of the siege of rochester castle . any takers?

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwin September 25th 2015, 07:47

Humm.....

Well I've had a word with English Heritage and apparently we won't be allowed to mine under one of the existing towers. Even if done in costume.

So looks like that's out.

And if we set a trebuchet up in the nearby car park we will have to by a ticket for it.

I'm sure they did have these problems 800 years ago. Modern seige warfare is so much harder. And we haven't even mentioned the HSE yet.

Simon
Gwin
Gwin

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row September 25th 2015, 17:56

i think they are being a bit short sighted. think of all the revenue it could bring in? and theres the t.v. rights and the merchandising !

what if we offered to number all the pieces so we could put it back together afterwards?

and do we know anyone with a blue badge?that would cover the ticket for the trebuchet.

still leaves the problem of the hse though...............

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwin September 27th 2015, 07:16

I suggest we put them in costume. Someone's got to defend the walls Wink
Gwin
Gwin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down