Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

28th october

+3
Phil King
Mrbootsthecat
steve row
7 posters

Go down

28th october Empty 28th october

Post  steve row October 1st 2015, 07:10

further to my post "october game"

there now appears to be at least 5 of us interested in a lion rampant evening .

if we can get one more we reckon that we could handle a 3 a side game.

if more would need to split into 2 games .

if we get an odd number i don't mind being an impartial umpire who would never accept offers of supplies from the local off license

would like to confirm numbers by the 14th so can work on designing suitable retinues, which scenarios to run and work out how many tables we would need

i could probably get 3 from my burgundians and nigel reckons could manage 3 from his swiss , so not quite agincourt as originally suggested but at least something medieval

steve row

Back to top Go down

28th october Empty Re: 28th october

Post  Mrbootsthecat October 2nd 2015, 11:03

Steve,
Id like to join in if possible. I have a 24 point retinue of 2x6 knights, 6 mounted sergeants, 12 spear and 12 xbow.
Tony
Mrbootsthecat
Mrbootsthecat

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 2nd 2015, 18:33

i believe we now have myself , nigel , pete , lee , andy and tony

this could make one game . to get the best out of it would need to set and get started pretty quickly though . but i am sure we could manage that

if we can get a couple more would probably be better to split it into two

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 14th 2015, 06:43

looks like the game on the 28th will be 3 against 3
won,t be a full blown Agincourt but i will see if i can find some event during the battle or the campaign we can loosely base it on .

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 15th 2015, 06:48

Jim has now thrown his hat into the ring too

i would be happy to umpire a 3 vs 3 game

Andy , my email address is sjrow26@gmail.com

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 20th 2015, 07:03

some where near Agincourt with a selection of troop types from roughly that period , give or take a bit

rather unnervingly , Nigel and i have started actually planning for this game. In the games of Lion Rampant i have seen so far , the longbow seems to be able to dominate , which does seem to be accurate . you can,t have an English army of Agincourt without longbows but we ( I say "we" now as this is the start of my attempt to find someone to blame if the game does not work out , but don't tell Nigel) wanted to tone them down a bit
there fore i have decided that the English will have one shooty retinue and the others not so shooty . The combined retinues could represent a recconnaisance (looking for the rennaisance?) in force, using a combination of missile troops backing up the mounted/melee element

Currently we have Tony and Pete with their French contingents . The French crossbowmen at Agincourt had access to pavises but it was decided not to use them . There will be a 3rd retinue with a couple of upgraded crossbow units with said pavises in it to give them more chance of standing toe to toe with the English longbows.

So currently i am umpiring

Tony and Pete i assume will want to command their own units

So as to speed up the setting up process i need to allocate commands to Lee , Andy , Nigel and Jim .

Any preferences ? if not i have a selection of hats to draw names from!

We will need 3 tables , so whoever is there first , if they could grab that number .

if we don't finish it on the night perhaps we could look into hiring the hall for a day.............................

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Phil King October 21st 2015, 18:16

Steve, I downloaded the rules onto my Kindle the other day and will be hot footing it down to Rochester to buy a couple of Fireforge Templar boxes to raise my Retinue so would be very interested in a Rampant day!
Phil King
Phil King

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 27th 2015, 21:29

final roll call for tomorrows lion rampant extravaganza

Tony ,Pete and a name from the hat as the French
And 3 other names as the English

The other names are Lee , Jim , Andy and Nigel

i know Pete and Tony on the French side have played the game . as Nigel has played the game a few times perhaps he should go on the English side to give some sort of "expertise".

I seem to recall Lee saying he would play even if he had to be French , so maybe i don't need to use the hat this time

steve row

Back to top Go down

28th october Empty Royal fellowship of death

Post  Lee Newton October 29th 2015, 05:58

What a bizarre game. The English fought with French arrogance. The French crossbows cut everyone to bits, not the longbow. Note to self - crossbows especially with Pavs are right bastards to kill but fold quickly when you hurt em enough. Steve CAN roll decent dice. Now I DO need a lie down...

Awesome game - thanks to Andy gallantly allowing me to play English. Thanks to everyone for making it a disciplined (at least in terms of pace of turn) game. Thanks for bringing your retinues and big thanks to everyone's effort in organising this into a fab game.

Cracking knight!
Lee

Lee Newton

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT October 29th 2015, 17:16

Yeah much as I was surprised by the English not putting more longbowmen on the table, us Frenchies did seem to bring a lot of crossbow along, myself being one of the culprits. From my side still seemed to fail a lot of activations on getting the crossbow to fire, but longbow turned out not to be as devastating as in the last game, where we just seemed unable to touch them without getting completely shot down on the way.....As I'm close to finishing painting them I think I'll follow Tony in going for a unit of Mounted Sergeants too, then I can just stick all the cavalry in the middle and just charge!....which that bloody great marsh stopped me doing last night!..yes Steve I know the French got stuck in a muddy field on the really battlefield but marsh was a bit more obvious...and getting a unit of knights shot up by some lousy bidowers hiding in it was bad enough without taking several rounds of archery from longbowmen.

Thanks to Steve for organising it, and everyone else for bringing such a nice collection of toys along. Great game!

PeterT

http://peteswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood October 29th 2015, 21:32

Lee Newton wrote: Steve CAN roll decent dice. Now I DO need a lie down...
I dont believe this, who did he sacrifice to the god of luck?
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 30th 2015, 06:49

i was pleased with the way the system played . i wondered if 3 a side would be too slow . but everybody seemed to be trying to their best to fail activation roles , so nobody had to wait too long for a turn . the lion rampant system gives a good fun game . it has enough unpredictabilty in it to make sure you need to plan your moves carefully , but is simple enough that can be easily picked up by newcomers . it is also easy for us older players to be able to remember what we are supposed to be doing . well most of the time!!
the game was played in a very good spirit and it is thanks to all those who took part that it worked so well .
as for the marsh , the french did get to choose which side to deploy on............

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT October 30th 2015, 08:25

Marsh was right in the middle Steve! Didn't matter which side we chose, though we rolled for it anyway. 

Still made for a good game, and remember English may have won Agincourt but they lost the war! 

Reminder to self, if I carry on playing the French get a figure for Jeanne d'Arc!

PeterT

http://peteswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Stewart October 31st 2015, 11:37

Was a cracking game guys, many thanks for letting me join, those xbows are a bit mean , might have to get some as mercs for my Scottish retinue i am working on, any future games sign me up, as long as i am not at work.
Andy Stewart
Andy Stewart

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down