Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9th march

3 posters

Go down

9th march  Empty 9th march

Post  steve row March 5th 2016, 11:11

so here's to some good old Lion Rampanting.

I shall bring along my Burgundians , may or may not be using the exact list from the book . That's the beauty of the flexibility of the system

Nigel is bringing something too.

Anyone else bringing their retinues along would be good too. If we end up with an odd number of players , as opposed to a number of odd players, I shall be happy to observe .

Could either choose to do the first introductory scenario or generate a random one

Rules "discussions" to be settled by die roll

i recommend using the boasts rule . These can be kept secret until the end of the game or you can opt to shout them out at the beginning

As and when games are played i would like to know the various victory points won and lost , either for completing objectives or boasts .
It would also add a bit of fun to know about particularly unlucky die rolls and not just because that is something i am good at .

I will then use the forum to compile and update the league table .

Happy Rampanting!!!!!!

steve row

Back to top Go down

9th march  Empty Re: 9th march

Post  Nogbad the Bad March 8th 2016, 21:19

I'm bringing a thirteenth century retinue - the brave lads who (almost) toppled bad King John, reclaimed Kent from the French and gave us Magna Carta. It's a bit of a work in progress I'm afraid, so some of figures look a bit earlier and some a bit later. If anyone just wants to give it a go I'll bring along a War of the Roses retinue. See you tomorrow evening. Nige
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row March 9th 2016, 07:49

pete is hoping to turn up with some troops too , so hopefully could get 2 games done this evening .

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Nogbad the Bad March 9th 2016, 07:54

The more the merrier. This evening's games might have to be prop-free scenarios but give it a year or two and I'll have some objectives painted up. Probably.
Nogbad the Bad
Nogbad the Bad

Back to top Go down

9th march  Empty Rampantness

Post  Lee Newton March 9th 2016, 12:14

I will be there - my retinue is still on the painting table but Pete is going to loan me some dice-fodder. I'm hoping to field an Agincourt-English-heavy-on-the-bows-stupidly-fragile retinue if I can, because I'm a masocist and I want an early bath (probably).

Lee

Lee Newton

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row March 10th 2016, 19:38

and so we have begun . two games in the league completed  . both with a mix of skill , error and awful luck

we both played the "meeting the neighbours" scenario .

nigels luck was losing one of his units of serjeants ,nicely formed into schiltron ,to a dodgy double one on his courage test

mine was a dodgy double one that killed my leader and his unit on a courage test

lees' was more spectacular as his dice rolling repeatedly failed to score 6 with 2 dice to get his potentially deadly bowmen to fire turn after turn after turn........

petes' luck was slightly different . it looked like he had scored a resounding victory having destroyed lees retinue . however checking the scenario to finalise the scores it states the victory
points were scored for getting units off the table and the rules state when only one side has troops left on the table the game ends .
it actually says any" units in play at the end of the game do not count towards glory points.....so keep models moving towards the exit points rather than weighing into attacks"
but he did complete a boast and Lee failed both his so points to Pete and Lee becomes the Alan Davis of the league , so far..............

so the moral of the evening is throw better dice and read the scenario

will put  a league table on the bit of the forum to with wargames discussions tomorrow

Last edited by steve row on March 11th 2016, 07:03; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed a bit out , that damned proof reader . . . . . ..)

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Newton March 11th 2016, 07:31

I did write a review of the game here but it has either been removed (?) or is currently orbiting cyber space?

Good game despite losing in a spectacular fashion, it does go to show if the dice are not with you - you're stuffed,

Lee

Lee Newton

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Newton March 11th 2016, 19:15

I was right about being a masocist. It started badly, got worse in the middle and ended in disaster. It wasn't helped by my God awful dice rolling - not even helped by my new dice. I had 5 rounds in a row failing to activate my first unit (Expert Archers). Petes 'Commanding' leader meant he could re-roll one activation per round too. The net result was I didn't get very far Into the board before Petes retinue was upon me. His Biddowers were put to excellent use from a patch of marsh. I did manage to put a dent in them and destroy a unit of mounted Serjeants before my force was reduced to a unit of Expert Archers who were sent packing before being peppered by crossbow bolts.

My leader didn't have a name - I think that says it all really. He was a 'braveheart' which I wanted to put to good use but Pete steered clear.

To conclude I feel like Will Shatner waving his fist and shouting 'kaaaaaahhhhnn!!!!!'

Lee Newton

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row March 12th 2016, 14:22

Perhaps your army had listened to William Shatners' version of a speech from Shakespears' Henry V.
his version would have demotivated even the most expert of expert archers!!

Or maybe they had listened to his version of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds . Whatever he was on when he recorded that would definitely stop the most expert of expert archers from functioning .

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down