Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

*** WORLD WAR 1 EVENT***

Go down

*** WORLD WAR 1 EVENT*** Empty *** WORLD WAR 1 EVENT***

Post  Unclebilly June 30th 2014, 08:32

Lads,

I have had another email from Alan (the bloke who organises broadside). Looks very interesting, my be right up your street Philip.

"Dear Guys,

for once you are getting an email from me that doesn’t involve Broadside!

We at the MHWC have been approached by a group called the Defence of Swale Project. This is an archaeological and historical research group examining Swale during the first world war. This group is also part of a much wider Kent and even nationally based study set up for the WW1 centenary. The group here is headed by the Kent County Archaeologist, Simon Mason and military historian and head of the Defence Heritage Group, Victor Smith. They have asked us to build a game to support their research and new discoveries regarding Swales defence, which it seems is a treasure trove.

So, what has this to do with you? Following our discussions, I have suggested that a Broadside sized weekend event of local research groups and wargame clubs would be a great way to show the public what has been achieved. The wargame clubs would be given space to wargame an aspect of WW1, preferably but not necessarily restricted to, an aspect that relates to their home town. We at the MHWC will be looking at the Swale defence plan and considering what would have happened if the last German offensive actually worked and the defences here were used. You might consider your own town or local coastal area and defending against a landing....a local aerial battle or naval action brought about by the invasion of Kent. That said, you might just want to play a straight forward WW1 game of any theatre or year; everything would be relevant. I rather think that the non gaming groups in this project would like to see participation games but we all know how to produce games for events and the choice will be up to you.

This is very, very, early days for the project and as such there are no rules or structure yet. Essentially, I am canvassing opinion as to who thinks this project a good idea and which clubs would, in principle at least, like to be involved. There is no date set or deadline to work with, its all up for consideration. I would suggest that a date would be set for some twelve months following any agreement between the three organising groups, so I imagine you would have at least a year before anything kicks off. As I say, I am just looking for opinions and an idea as to who might take part. This will not be a wargame show, rather a centenary exhibition.

Thank you for your time

Alan"

If anyone wants to get involved pop a reply below and I will let Alan know.

pig 
Unclebilly
Unclebilly

Back to top Go down

*** WORLD WAR 1 EVENT*** Empty Re: *** WORLD WAR 1 EVENT***

Post  Unclebilly July 24th 2014, 09:13

Just a little update for ya'll

"Dear All,

A while ago I contacted you regarding an exciting WW1 wargame project. I am now able to offer you more details and I would love to hear back from those of you that would be interested in taking part.

The idea is part of the wider national commemoration of WW1 but in the main focuses on how the war affected England. So far, academics and archaeologists have been scouring archives and the towns and countryside to rediscover some amazing things including huge lines of defences prepared for an expected invasion, troop movements and garrisons, forts , gun emplacements....a wealth of wargame potential.

Each club taking part would be partnered by a local history society or museum. The work they do to discover new information about the war in your areas, air raids, prison camps, etc. will help you to create a game set in and around your area. This could be about a ‘what if’ invasion, a skirmish to secure a downed German pilot, dog fights, naval actions, spy catching in Chatham...the possibilities are endless. These partnerships would then attend an event alongside other such groups, in aid of the British Legion, Help for Heroes etc., to showcase to the public just what was found. The history group/museum would have a display of research and you would run a game alongside that relates to that research. So far, venue options include Chatham Dockyard and the Royal Engineers museum. This is intended to be a large and fairly prestigious event and looks like being a lot of fun too.

Please talk to your members and see if you are interested in taking part. It would be helpful to know numbers of potentially interested clubs as soon as possible so the organisers get begin to build the event although, it is possible that the show would not be until 2016. These things take a hell of a lot of organising, as will creating the partnerships and deciding on a game type, hence I am contacting you now.

Following the initial email several clubs registered an interest. Now things are looking at little more formal how many more of you would like to take part?

Alan"
Unclebilly
Unclebilly

Back to top Go down