Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012

+4
BBrotherwood
Steve r
PeterT
Chrissy Boy
8 posters

Go down

Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012 Empty Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012

Post  Chrissy Boy June 14th 2012, 21:10

Right, I believe I'm playing young Philip at War and Conquest next week.

What are the rest of you herberts up to?

Also, if anyone else feels the urge to start this topic each week in the future, don't be shy. I won't be upset if you get there before me. Very Happy
Chrissy Boy
Chrissy Boy

http://www.gravesendwargamersclub.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012 Empty Re: Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012

Post  PeterT June 14th 2012, 23:36

Ben, Steve and I are thinking of doing some Lord of the Rings (it is historic, right? If not how did they do the films?). Thought we'd start with giving the Battle Strategy Game rules a spin.

Here are some scenario ideas:

Boromir doing it bit of rep building leading his Gondorians down to give the Haradrim town a bit of a kicking (could use the Eastern houses I made for Mos Eisley) only to find a boatload of Corsairs are in town for a p*ss up, too) - Can do Gondorians, some Haradrim infantry and know Ben's got Corsairs. Anyone got a black sailed boat?

Bunch of Uruks and Warg riders attacking a Rohan border town. Will cavalry ride to the rescue? - Can supply Rohan, some Uruks - though Ben's Uruk Raiders might be better- Think Steve can do the Wargs. Got the 'wooden' buildings for a little village.

Bane of Durin. Bunch of Dwarves vs Misty Mountain Gobbos. Steve and I have loads of Gobs/couple of Trolls. Did I get that right that you've got a Balrog Steve? Wasn't sure if you've got enough short guys Ben? Could add a few more myself. Got a bag of large rocks for a bit of mountain looking scenery. Might have some Mage Knight 'dungeon tiles, too.

Feel free to give a bit of input

PeterT

http://peteswargamingblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012 Empty Games 20th

Post  Steve r June 15th 2012, 10:45

Have got a balrog . Also have some steep hills and a couple of gw pieces depicting craggy hill with dwarf walling surrounding paved area with door leading into the mountain . If looking at warg scenario i only have 10

Steve r

Back to top Go down

Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012 Empty Re: Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012

Post  BBrotherwood June 15th 2012, 11:28

Its gotta be dwarves and the goblins, if not just to use one of Morgorth's pet Balrogs Smile
Possibly the scenario could be Balin leading the dwarvish survivors in a charge to break out of the mountains through an entrance, there being pursued from behind by the Balrog and a few gobbos/ troll. However after a set number of turns a second force of gobbos appear across there path, so now the poor dwarves are fighting on two fronts to try and escape. I can bring about 80 Dwarves to the party, possibly more if I do a bit of painting.

I have got a couple of rocky hills I can add to it.

For the Goblins we just need ALL of em plus the cave trolls and of course a Balrog Smile clown
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  phil24 June 15th 2012, 16:17

The Ginger Pele was supposed to be playing W&C with Chris, Reece and myself next Wednesday.

As he's let us down, does anyone fancy joining in ?

It's Saxons v Vikings.

Phil

phil24

Back to top Go down

Post  Reece June 15th 2012, 16:22

Or more appropriately Phil's uber-grossed up dreadnought killing machines v pink and fluffy Vikings tongue tongue tongue tongue

Reece

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT June 16th 2012, 21:31

BBrotherwood wrote:Its gotta be dwarves and the goblins, if not just to use one of Morgorth's pet Balrogs Smile
Possibly the scenario could be Balin leading the dwarvish survivors in a charge to break out of the mountains through an entrance, there being pursued from behind by the Balrog and a few gobbos/ troll. However after a set number of turns a second force of gobbos appear across there path, so now the poor dwarves are fighting on two fronts to try and escape. I can bring about 80 Dwarves to the party, possibly more if I do a bit of painting.

I have got a couple of rocky hills I can add to it.

For the Goblins we just need ALL of em plus the cave trolls and of course a Balrog Smile clown

Sounds a good plan. Tweaks I'd suggest are

1. Having the table set up to give Dwarves multiple exits (with some cross tunnels so Gobbos can re-deploy). This will give the Dwarves an incentive to split up (mass of 80 Dwarves would be a helluva lot of dice rolling for combat-in fact 40/50 or so might be enough-having several groups of 10 or so would be better).

2. Don't just have the blocking parties arrive on a set turn. Dice for arrival from each of the exits. Something like they arrive on 6 on D6 initially and 5+ after a few turns. Using multiple exits and random arrival will keep it tense, though if you roll for 5+ enough times they should all arrive.

3. Need to put a bit of thought into the chase idea - because although different initiatives gives a bit of randomness, move distances are fixed in LOTR SBG. Gobbos are a bit faster than Dwarves, but will need to measure up a bit as won't be much good if pursuing Balrog/Gobbos take forever to catch them or catch them too early. I guess Dwarves will be deploying a rearguard (nice job facing a Balrog!) Maybe could have an optional rule for 'headlong flight/pursuit' eg. figure can choose to roll a d6, on 6 add 2", on 5 add 1" but on a roll of 1 trip up ie. don't move. Goblins could climb up wall/leap crevasses etc. so bear that in mind setting up terrain.

I'll try and look up points values in Legends of Middle Earth.

PeterT

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood June 16th 2012, 21:44

Sounds like a plan, I think the sprinting rules my make the game a bit too much of a dice rolling excersize, if the deployments are far away enough then the dwarves will have a chance of getting away before getting swamped, well until they meet there friends in the blocking party Smile. And my only advice to anyone fighting the Balrog is to not try and kill it as you almost certainly wont Smile Just feed it a victim a turn to squash Smile
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterT June 16th 2012, 22:14

Take your point on the rolling for individual figures. Would be a bad idea with so many.

Still not sure what you mean that there would be a 'chance' the Dwarves get away. With fixed and alternating movement it is pretty much a case of they will or they won't and (leaving aside the initiative effect that might give one side a short-lived - and temporary- advantage) you could pretty much measure where they'll meet at the start of the game.

Could take idea of getting extra speed randomly and just apply it to whole unit-lot less dice rolling. Roll of 1 could mean 1D6 figs get left behind.

PeterT

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh June 17th 2012, 07:04

I'll give the W&C game a go if that's OK.

Hugh

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve r June 17th 2012, 09:22

I once ran a scenario with the fellowship being pursued by the balrog troll and goblins . If they were able to get near to the woods at the other end of the table then they got help from an out post of wood elves . To make the escape a bit trickier i included some warp riders who would be able to catch the fellowship and force them to fight or at least deploy a rearguard . The goblins of misty mountains often allied with the wargs . The films are very good but like most films based on history do have quite a number of innacuracies and sometimes miss important facts !

Steve r

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood June 17th 2012, 19:06

Technically Balin was ambushed and killed by the lake of Mazarbul. If someone has a lake we could change the scenario so that he starts of next to the lake with a small guard. The Goblins appear from random board edges and down the coloums to represent them climbing down from the rough. Balin and his guard have to reach the entrance into the hall of Mazarbul. Dwarves from the hall try to come to his aid, and this is the moment that the rest of the goblins appear with the Balrog. It will give the game a sense of escalation as well as being true to the books Smile.
Just another idea Smile
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Games being played at the club on Wednesday 20th June 2012 Empty LOTR

Post  Admin June 17th 2012, 22:34

Im not sure if I'm going into work on days or nights at the moment. As it stands it's day shift so I'd quite like to have a go at LOTR but only if there is room?

If not I can always host another battle on the uncharted seas
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://tgwc.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood June 17th 2012, 22:45

Aye there is always room from one more Smile
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve r June 18th 2012, 14:00

Another idea when the good guys are in the middle is to have a number of evil players attacking . The evil guys have a group victory condition but also an individual one to see who can kill most good heroes

Steve r

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood June 18th 2012, 14:54

Im liking the idea of a bit of glory hunting Smile
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve r June 21st 2012, 13:28

So after much toing and froing on the forum and by text the lord of the rings game staggered into life . Using a combination of mine , petes and bens and with scenery by the above and simon the game looked good ( loved the dwarves ! ) and played very well too . Ben took the dwarves and to get balin lord of moria out of an ambush . Both sides started with some troops on the table and recieved reinforcements as the game progressed . Thanks to ben for his early dice rolling which meant dwarves and goblins were causing equal casualties . He then began to stage a bit of a come back to make it really interesting but still had the decency to feed balin to the balrog at the end . Seems there are lots of figures owned by club members for this games system and look forward to trying out other scenarios and armies

Steve r

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood June 21st 2012, 14:44

If think the decision to feed the Balrog was rather taken out of my hands after you had eaten the rest of his body guard Embarassed It was the best game of LOTR I have played though Razz . I think between us all there must be a good 600 - 700 figures. : Basketball

Oh and the final kill count was:
42 Goblins
1 Troll
1 Embarrassed although uninjured Balrog.

to 30 Dwarves and Balin
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh June 21st 2012, 15:12

We've got boxloads of them in our roof!

Hugh

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood June 21st 2012, 15:17

How many boxes and what off? Razz
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Hugh June 21st 2012, 15:30

Mainly the earlier armies. Have a Balrog and a Mumak, think we stopped buying after the 2nd wave. Have quite a few codexes.

Hugh

Back to top Go down

Post  BBrotherwood June 21st 2012, 15:34

Shocked I think the count could well be going up to near a 1000 Shocked
BBrotherwood
BBrotherwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down