Gravesend Wargamers Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Napoleonic distraction

2 posters

Go down

Napoleonic distraction Empty Napoleonic distraction

Post  steve row July 8th 2015, 07:00

Just spent 4 days in vienna . Of course this has led to me purchasing some toys . In this case a box of perry miniatures austrians . It will be a very long time before i could challenge the might of reece's french . However i did read somewhere about there being austrian and british troops being in the netherlands during the 1814 campaign . So could possibly cobble together some sort of scenario at some point

steve row

Back to top Go down

Napoleonic distraction Empty Re: Napoleonic distraction

Post  steve row August 3rd 2015, 17:19

SINCE THE FIRST POST I HAVE FOUND OUT THAT REECE ALSO HAS AUSTRIANS AND IS ASSEMBLING THEM FOR THE EARLIER PART OF THE NAPOLEONIC WARS INCLUDING MARENGO and Austerlitz

i am am aiming to get around 120 foot , 24 horse and a couple of guns plus staff . my ability to sustain a project much beyond this number is almost non existant . however i do like the period and would in the future like to collect more .Just not necessarily Austrians.

Got me to thinking. Ouch!. Who else has 28mm Napoleonics ? What rules , unit sizes and basing conventions do they use? Do people use limbers for their artillery or just happy to field the guns?

I could quite happily get the odd brigade to fit in with other peoples armies . This would be a more manageable project and one I would be more likely to complete .
There may be other players who would also like to put their toe in the water . I am not sure anyone else would necessarily need to know about that! But if people did fancy painting up a couple of units without doing a whole army , if we can coordinate it a bit we could get a really comprehensive set of figures to cover this period

Also most nations uniforms changed during this period . I don't think people are too bothered about the number of buttons on jackets for example.At least I hope they are not ,because I don't think my paint brush knows how to do buttons . However some changes, such as head dress, were more obvious. How would people feel about 1805 Austrians fighting 1813 French?

Hope to have collected and painted the Austrians by the end of this year. Looks like El Alamein will just have to wait !

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row August 28th 2015, 22:15

so , i start collecting 28mm napoleonics and Reece buys a load of 15mm .

however as a secondary use of my Austrians i intended to use them to quell any unrest in the Transylvanian region of their empire . with the imminentish release of dragon rampant i find my self in possession of a 24 point army

result

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam02 October 21st 2015, 09:45

I have also started with 28mm Napoleonic, having always thought this was the wrong way to go - the figures are so big there are no flanks to exploit - but middle age is a time to abandon the wisdom of youth.

Mostly I am interested in historic scenarios with as much surprise, hidden movement and the removal of the helicopter perspective as possible. Fitting all this into 3 hours on a Wed night is difficult. 28mm and the slightly stylised scenarios pioneered by Charles Grant (http://steve-the-wargamer-teasers.blogspot.co.uk/) and Charles Grant Jr (http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/book-review-charles-s-grant-scenarios.html) seem to be an answer...

Adam02

Back to top Go down

Post  steve row October 21st 2015, 17:51

great fan of the Grant scenarios/tabletop teasers . Nigel and i have done a few with our 20mm 7 years war and Grants "the wargame" rules in the not too distant past .
makes a change from the line em up and knock down games can sometimes get with restricted space

but we could also combine these larger figures with Petes post on all day games . several players have some fantastic stuff ( won't mention names , don't want any heads swelling) which would be great to see en masse .
actually some of Grants scenarios are quite large..........

steve row

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down